1996-03-22 - Re: Cypherpunk Enquirer Request

Header Data

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 9d7029ae0b5203e39c90e8cde108ab5794936dc4029e3a0c11a7762421830728
Message ID: <ad773fd20a0210046bf1@[205.199.118.202]>
Raw Date: Fri, 22 Mar 1996 13:10:28 +0800

Raw message

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 1996 13:10:28 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Cypherpunk Enquirer Request

At 5:13 PM 3/21/96, Andrew Loewenstern wrote:
>Would some kind soul please forward to me a copy of the latest Cypherpunk
>Enquirer?  My filter mistakenly tossed the last copy and the archive at
>hks.net is still down.

I just did this. Hilarious stuff. Interesting that no one complains about
this use of anonymity!

(By the way, with 1000+ subscribers, a "would some kind soul" request is
possibly a dangerous thing to request. Game theory has some advice about
rolling dice, etc., but I doubt this works well.)

>(who should probably rewire his filter to toss messages into a temporary
>'holding tank')

Indeed, with Eudora (for the Mac and Windows), I filter offending messages
into a file I call "Kill," though it is persistent and can be perused at
any time. With the traffic having gotten lighter these last couple of
weeks, I confess to looking at it more often.

Some messages I "delete," which Eudora moves to a Trash file...and STILL
doesn't delete the messages until the Trash is explicitly emptied! Lots of
layers of protection. (Though I confess there have been times when I got an
insulting or infuriating item in the mail and decided to remove all
temptation to reply by immediately trashing it and then giving the command
"Empty Trash." At this point, only a determined effort with Norton
Utilities or the like could have any hope of recovering the deleted stuff.
A a post offends thee, pluck it out.)

--Tim

Boycott "Big Brother Inside" software!