1996-03-20 - No Subject

Header Data

From: mixmaster@vishnu.alias.net (Mr. Boffo)
To: ipgsales@cyberstation.net
Message Hash: a2613f51b5865d6ded4af9ac24c5dd2a3c08f99c6d1e1872abc6191a20cc8b5a
Message ID: <199603200345.VAA00644@vishnu.alias.net>
Raw Date: Wed, 20 Mar 1996 14:52:54 +0800

Raw message

From: mixmaster@vishnu.alias.net (Mr. Boffo)
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 1996 14:52:54 +0800
To: ipgsales@cyberstation.net
Subject: No Subject

ipgsales@cyberstation.net wrote:

>Those of you who have had all of the materials will understand the
>foregoing. With the information provided heretofore, you can determine
>the effect on the other two systems. Also, those people will know my
>expressed fear of a premature announcement, such as that which has
>now been made, would have. This was the reason, that I resisted
>so strongly the release of the materials to the C'punks list
>though a few of you recommended that I do so. Perhaps we should have
>released everything? Who knows. However, in any case, that is water
>over the dam and IPG must go on from here. It is only another of the many
>mistakes that we will undoubtedly make along the way.
>
>Having said that though, we must go back to our prior
>evaluation method, a strict confidential mode. However, I believe that we
>have added several very good additional people who can help to analyze
>the system.

English translation:

We didn't want to release our algorithm because we were afraid
somebody might find a weakness.  Sure enough, somebody did.
So I guess we're going to keep it a secret after all.

Hey, kids, security through obscurity just doesn't work.

Thread