1996-03-02 - Re: Truly Random Numbers

Header Data

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: b961c23a73ee94d13efe684a249fca1e1d58244b5f0d3a75684e074b05577c5b
Message ID: <ad5e01180202100432e2@[205.199.118.202]>
Raw Date: Sun, 3 Mar 1996 06:13:04 +0800

Raw message

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 1996 06:13:04 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Truly Random Numbers

At 9:26 PM 3/2/96, Adam Shostack wrote:
>        My expectation would be that your numbers are not random in a
>cryptographic sense, and that this route of attack is much less
>efficient than others that would be used.
>
>        I'll note that PGP does NOT take your data entered and convert
>it to numbers, but takes timings to choose a hard to predict starting
>point for its prime searching.

Yes, which is why I said this in my post:

"...With a reasonable amount of entropy, such as picking the next digit
from several keyboard timings, I expect the 150-decimal-digit number to be
*very* random!"

>        I'd expect this use of timings is better than using the large
>random number you entered, but in a theory sense only.  Both are
>pretty difficult; thats why we like large numbers. :)

--Tim May

Boycott "Big Brother Inside" software!