1996-03-12 - Re: How would Leahy bill affect crypto over HAM radio?

Header Data

From: “Deranged Mutant” <WlkngOwl@UNiX.asb.com>
To: Al Tirevold <tirevold@mindspring.com>
Message Hash: d07cf6d1d63ab66ec7cf4e139f7b38461b524414c19222e9c957ec2a41b873cf
Message ID: <199603110352.WAA24293@UNiX.asb.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 12 Mar 1996 15:49:22 +0800

Raw message

From: "Deranged Mutant" <WlkngOwl@UNiX.asb.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 1996 15:49:22 +0800
To: Al Tirevold <tirevold@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: How would Leahy bill affect crypto over HAM radio?

> It is illegal for amateur radio operators to use codes and ciphers per part
> 97.117 of the FCC rules.  Therefore, the Leahy bill would have no impact on
> "ham" radio.

But doesn't the bill grant the right to use encryption? That's my
point... the Internet and even international phone calls render that
rule meaningless, since there are other (easier?) ways to communicate
internationally using ciphers.

Leahy's bill doesn't restrict what media encryption may be used on.

I am aware that (as of now) crypto is banned on HAM, but my question
is whether one can consider the Leahy bill to lift that ban. (It
might also be useful for HAMs to get an amendment of some sort to the
bill...)

Rob.

---
Send a blank message with the subject "send pgp-key" (not in
quotes) to <WlkngOwl@unix.asb.com> for a copy of my PGP key.

Thread