1996-03-14 - Re: entropy masking (was Re: Multiple spinners as sources of entropy?)

Header Data

From: JonWienke@aol.com
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: d221c483ffe48b74bc0b1e30cc36fe1dee3cbcc99c5dbaca5ea35cee2480bcc2
Message ID: <960313234757350663563@emout09.mail.aol.com>
Reply To: _N/A

UTC Datetime: 1996-03-14 18:36:52 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 14 Mar 1996 13:36:52 -0500

Raw message

From: JonWienke@aol.com
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 1996 13:36:52 -0500
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: entropy masking (was Re: Multiple spinners as sources of entropy?)

In a message dated 96-03-13 18:35:51 EST, Matt Blaze writes:

>I would go even further than this.  I wouldn't trust ANY
>environmentally-based random source (cycle spinner, keyboard
>timer, disk noise, whatever) against adversaries on the
>same system.

In DOS, the keyboard, mouse, and disk drives run on interrupts, not timers.
 If you use a timer as a spinner, such as the Windows GetCurrentTime()
function, (I MSec. resolution) and check its value each time a key is pressed
and released, It would appear that the results should be quite random,
because the keystroke is not processed in conjunction with the timer, but
rather whenever the interrupt occurs.  My tests in this area indicate that
any 8 bit value can be achieved with this method, with a fairly uniform
distribution.  My tests are not thorough (I haven't sat down and typed for 2
hours to test the distribution of the output), but results look reasonably
good so far.

Jonathan Wienke

Thread