1996-03-09 - Review Litigation

Header Data

From: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: e7daf58b9759d5db790b09362fa30b02bc401f6262c30bd8908cd1d04ee26d4c
Message ID: <2.2.32.19960308210308.007380d0@panix.com>
Raw Date: Sat, 9 Mar 1996 10:17:05 +0800

Raw message

From: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 1996 10:17:05 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Review Litigation

At 06:59 PM 3/7/96 -0800, Timothy C. May wrote:

>We need to be very careful here. A service like "SurfWatch," voluntarily
>used by others, has entered into no contracts with sites to meet defined
>standards of what should and shouldn't be blocked. It is essentially a
>"review" service, like a reviewer of books, movies, restaurants, etc. Sure,
>some books, movies, and restaurants are "hurt" by negative reviews, but
>this is life in a free society. It has not yet reached the point in these
>Beknighted States that a bad review can be the basis of a tort (though I
>could be wrong...nothing would surprise me these days).

There was a recent case of a restaurant suing over a bad review that did go
to trial.  The reviewer won.  There has also been litigation against someone
who wrote a letter to a scientific journal attacking someone else.  The
letter writer won.  Of course both the letter writer and the reviewer had
legal costs because they were unwilling to proceed in forma pauperis.

DCF

Thread