1996-03-03 - Re: Anonymous Web Browsing

Header Data

From: “Powers Glenn” <Q101NOW@st.vse.cz>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: f2abfebc92cb9d9c87fd43e1ed639a6ade620d9110da4dd598cf23d03fe80ac6
Message ID: <E8D9C4352A@st.vse.cz>
Raw Date: Sun, 3 Mar 1996 08:10:28 +0800

Raw message

From: "Powers Glenn" <Q101NOW@st.vse.cz>
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 1996 08:10:28 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Anonymous Web Browsing

- From:           tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)

- At 5:24 AM 3/2/96, dwhite@pris.bc.ca wrote:
- >        My question is this:  Would it be possible to create a web site that
- >would function along the same lines as remailers do?  Something that would
- >allow a person to browse anonymously.   So lets say I surfed into a

- Tim May writes:
- Your intuitions are correct, that protection steps are needed. The
- technology is developing, but the perceived need (anonymous browsing) is
- probably less than the perceived need for anonymous e-mail.

simple, not real secure solutions:

find a unix host, run the cern httpd server, turn on proxying, turn
off logs. (about 10-15 minute setup) if this is not run often, it
works well.

use netcom (or something similiar) that gives you dynamic ip
addresses. as a bonus, netcom doesn't require an actual name or
address. (yes, they require a CC#). this allows fairly anonymous
access. (prehaps one reason the neeed for web proxies isn't that high)

glenn

Thread