1996-03-30 - Re: Edited Edupage, 24 March 1996

Header Data

From: jamesd@echeque.com
To: perry@piermont.com
Message Hash: f3c30129d8cfafc9064d309aeb512f572dfcb8af6be23aa37a470be23fd524a7
Message ID: <199603291625.IAA09564@dns2.noc.best.net>
Raw Date: Sat, 30 Mar 1996 15:11:47 +0800

Raw message

From: jamesd@echeque.com
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 1996 15:11:47 +0800
To: perry@piermont.com
Subject: Re: Edited Edupage, 24 March 1996

Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> 2) I strongly hope that Netscape tries to move the product towards
>    standards based mechanisms like the IETF's RTP protocol, which are
>    in widespread use,

Unfortunately RTP is not a crypto protocol, and does not have a
standardized encrypted form.

Therefore any encrypted protocol is necessarily proprietary and
non standard, unless Phill Zimmerman has published a standard.

If Netscape creates a standard for encrypting RTP, and publishes it,
that will be a move towards a standard, not a move away from a standard.

One mechanism for encrypting RTP would be to construct a shared secret
key by DH exchange, or Rabin if one wished to dodge patents, construct
a cryptographically strong pseudo random data stream from the key, using
Ron's code, and for each RTP packet, encrypt using a block from that
data stream as the packet key.

and our property, because of the kind	|
derives from this right, not from the	|
arbitrary power of the state.		|   jamesd@echeque.com