1996-03-09 - Integrity in the arts

Header Data

From: “Charles Choi (SAR)” <choi@virtu.sar.usf.edu>
To: Jean-Francois Avon <jf_avon@citenet.net>
Message Hash: f64a4732efce3821b7e900088da4feaf3b7937cd81111c592c95317b08e6512b
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.91.960309124021.261A-100000@virtu>
Reply To: <9603090731.AA27437@cti02.citenet.net>
UTC Datetime: 1996-03-09 19:35:19 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 10 Mar 1996 03:35:19 +0800

Raw message

From: "Charles Choi (SAR)" <choi@virtu.sar.usf.edu>
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 1996 03:35:19 +0800
To: Jean-Francois Avon <jf_avon@citenet.net>
Subject: Integrity in the arts

> >Making art more palatable or less "extreme" to curry favor with
> >corporate patrons, or to get that NEA grant, or to get that faculty
> >position is self-censorship, and it does happen.
>
> No, it does not.  Making art more palatable is simply the process of
> free trade between two uncoerced entities.  If the artist does not offer
> what the corporate purchaser wants he will not sell.  He thus adapt his
> style out to his customer.  Nobody is threatening to use force to
> have the artist conform to the client.  Nobody is forcing the client
> to buy what he does not like.
>
> The artist does not have to compromise, he simply have to refuse the
> contract.

Well, my did is an artist, and I have to say that you really have to
consider the "human" aspects of it before you rattle off refusing
contracts for art.  Artists do art because they think they're good at it,
or prefer art as a career field more than any other, presumbably.  When
you have to feed a) yourself b) your family, taking contracts seems that
much more palatable.  I admit, I don't like it either, but, to use a far
more philosophical arena, sometimes people make the sacrifices that they
do ( in terms of integrity and pride ) for the long run.  Sometimes
people feel they have no choice at any point in their lives.  Sometimes
people have nothing BUT artistic integrity.  Those who take the latter
often get the respect of other artists, but respecting one's example is not
the same as following one's example; who knows how many years of
suffering you have to go through before you make it, if you make it at
all ( case in point; Van Gogh, who only sold 1 painting his entire life ).
This argument may not seem all too relevant to this forum until you
consider integrity of information, and start to consider how much one is
and is not willing to sacrifice to others, say the authorities or to a
society, in the first place.  It becomes quite important then; admittedly
in a roundabout way.

							Sincerely.
							Quentin Holte.
							( aka Charles Choi. )

							You are all the Buddha.
								- Last words
								  of Buddha.

							If you see the Buddha,
                                            		             kill him.
                                                                - Zen proverb.

On Sat, 9 Mar 1996, Jean-Francois Avon wrote:

>  Public Key at http://w3.citenet.net/users/jf_avon
>     Jean-Francois Avon <jf_avon@citenet.net>
>     2048 bits key ID:C58ADD0D  1996/03/01
> fingerprint=52 96 45 E8 20 5A 8A 5E  F8 7C C8 6F AE FE F8 91

Thread