1996-03-11 - Re: rhetorical trickery

Header Data

From: “John C. Randolph” <jcr@idiom.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: fe0d92ffcfe4d49f4a5a6e53b9a66922c74cf1f1939c337252c94fd13c528b37
Message ID: <199603111126.DAA25557@idiom.com>
Reply To: <v02130500ad68b25e6f1a-wVB1@[205.252.17.19]>
UTC Datetime: 1996-03-11 23:57:47 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 12 Mar 1996 07:57:47 +0800

Raw message

From: "John C. Randolph" <jcr@idiom.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 1996 07:57:47 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: rhetorical trickery

tomservo@access.digex.net (Scott Fabbri) Says:

>An entity self-representing as "Vladimir Z. Nuri" writes:

>>sure, a government agent could insist, "well, don't be a bonehead.
>>it's obviously his diary, and surely contains all his crimes against
>>children".

>A standard attitude among LEOs is: "if you're not guilty of something, what
>are you hiding?" Skilled ones use this lever to get suspects to allow
>searches of their property on the flimsiest of pretenses.

This is why we need to adopt the standard attitude of "Well, Officer,
If you're not a jackbooted thug, why are you asking me to consent to
an unreasonable search?"

-jcr

Thread