1996-04-24 - Kill Files

Header Data

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 15d5ae5167ebd28f7c8febcea4848ef50e2ec0a71a8c6feb59eb3e1d7c15db99
Message ID: <ada3a7bf02021004232e@[205.199.118.202]>
Raw Date: Wed, 24 Apr 1996 14:41:50 -0700 (PDT)

Raw message

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 1996 14:41:50 -0700 (PDT)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Kill Files

At 2:04 PM 4/24/96, s1113645@tesla.cc.uottawa.ca wrote:

>One must note that capital punishment is an excellent means of
>unsuvscription.
>

>(Ps. Just joking, Jason or whoever you are.)

On a serious note, I hereby predict that the term "kill file" will soon be
picked up by the clueless media and/or Congress as a sign that the Internet
is dangerous. (I'm sure it already has been used as a negative, but I'm
predicting a more visible focus on this term, however briefly. To the
average American, it conjures up images closely related to Jim Bell's
ideas!)

I had one of our "unsubscrive" newbies asking me what I meant by "putting
him in my kill file," and saying he was planning to let his site manager
know about "your threat."

--Tim

Boycott "Big Brother Inside" software!