1996-04-10 - Re: Enforcing the CDA improperly may pervert Internet architecture

Header Data

From: Scott Brickner <sjb@universe.digex.net>
To: Mike McNally <m5@vail.tivoli.com>
Message Hash: 1f6116227814fc91bd4de92c776a3003d2b2bee01cceb289e26790440a7f6eda
Message ID: <199604091805.OAA01959@universe.digex.net>
Reply To: <316AA1FC.6ED1@vail.tivoli.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-04-10 18:58:14 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 11 Apr 1996 02:58:14 +0800

Raw message

From: Scott Brickner <sjb@universe.digex.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 1996 02:58:14 +0800
To: Mike McNally <m5@vail.tivoli.com>
Subject: Re: Enforcing the CDA improperly may pervert Internet architecture

Mike McNally writes:
>Scott Brickner wrote:
>> Given your position, io.com is only accessible to adults in the world
>> of the CDA advocates.  Just upgrade your IP software to refuse
>> connections from minors.
>
>It's not "my" IP software.  I pay io for an account.  What you're saying
>is that every ISP would have to decide whether to be completely G-rated
>or else open to anybody.

Not necessarily.  The ISP could provide a configuration mechanism for
"self ratings" which the IP software would recognize.  Mislabeling would
be punishable the same way showing nekkid pictures of your wife to your
neighbor's kid is.

>Sigh.  That's probably what the CDA crowd wants.  It's hard not to become
>consumed by hatred.

Too true.  I wish they'd grow up and realize that information is inherently
harmless.  "Sticks and stones may break my bones..."

Thread