1996-04-15 - Re: carrick, Blowfish & the NSA

Header Data

From: shamrock@netcom.com (Lucky Green)
To: Jerry Whiting <cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 275649da399f4841c66db5dbf022ec37888b89956679562ef05c7effcc5bfad8
Message ID: <v02120d4aad9726d82937@[192.0.2.1]>
Raw Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 10:03:46 +0800

Raw message

From: shamrock@netcom.com (Lucky Green)
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 10:03:46 +0800
To: Jerry Whiting <cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: carrick, Blowfish & the NSA

At 21:12 4/13/96, Jerry Whiting wrote:

>Our marketing tag ("Encryption software so good, the Feds won't let us
>export it.") may well become a self-fulfilling prophecy.  But that's OK
>because having others adopt carrick is our real goal.  Building up a
>strong U.S. user base is OK while we wrestle with the NSA over how big a
>key length we can export.  Their initial response was that 40-bit keys
>were specific to RC2 and RC4 and that Blowfish was another kettle of fish
>(bad pun intended).
>
>Either way we're going to publish an extensive FAQ on carrick that should
>allow someone to not only work with carick but perhaps clone our efforts.
>IANAL but my understanding is that publishing such a document, with or
>without source code, and making it publicly available to non-U.S. citizens
>is perfectly legal.

I hope you are still going to publish source for US citicens?

-- Lucky Green <mailto:shamrock@netcom.com>
   PGP encrypted mail preferred.

Thread