1996-04-23 - Re: java security

Header Data

From: Alan Olsen <alano@teleport.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 2ca78cb95dc97f17f334e4ce657c812d21fbd8b9dd6f0cd0298988faab3d94ac
Message ID: <2.2.32.19960422212139.00aa57ec@mail.teleport.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 23 Apr 1996 09:47:56 +0800

Raw message

From: Alan Olsen <alano@teleport.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 1996 09:47:56 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: java security

At 01:26 PM 4/22/96 -0700, Lucky Green wrote:
>At 23:35 4/21/96, Bill Stewart wrote:
>
>>Were they Java, or JavaScript?  Much different.  Among other things,
>>JavaScript runs on Win3.1, and Netscape doesn't let you turn it off.
>>I've had at least one event of JavaScript crashing Netscape; the part
>>of the script I noticed was scrolling lots of stuff along the bottom
>
>Javascript started the new browser. The renegade applet was Animator, which
>is Java, I believe.
>
>I didn't spend much effort investigating it, since I try to stay away from
>doing things over that have hosed my system twice in a row. Win95, Atlas
>beta. The offending page was http://www.dippybird.com/java.html

The one advantage to Netscape 3.0 is that you can turn Javascript off.  (You
may be able to do that in 2.01 as well...)

3.0 has some pretty nasty bugs.  There appears to be a memory leak dealing
with forms, as well as a number of nasty little gotchas.  (I have been
getting crashes that seem to be assocaited with one of the plug-ins.)

Hopefully the next beta is out for 3.0.  (I have not checked in the last
couple of days, so it may be...  Sunday night seems to be the favored time
of posting.)
---
Alan Olsen -- alano@teleport.com -- Contract Web Design & Instruction
        `finger -l alano@teleport.com` for PGP 2.6.2 key
                http://www.teleport.com/~alano/
  "We had to destroy the Internet in order to save it." - Sen. Exon

Thread