1996-04-14 - Re: US crypto laws? Need help!

Header Data

From: Simon Spero <ses@tipper.oit.unc.edu>
To: Jean Chouanard <Jean.Chouanard@grenoble.rxrc.xerox.com>
Message Hash: 31d9c885eb5a82117375ee8133a75de889d93a2be83405a852840e8bc4e823bd
Message ID: <Pine.SOL.3.91.960413203112.28313A-100000@chivalry>
Reply To: <v02140b18ad91143a0d5e@[13.202.222.150]>
UTC Datetime: 1996-04-14 06:20:27 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 14 Apr 1996 14:20:27 +0800

Raw message

From: Simon Spero <ses@tipper.oit.unc.edu>
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 1996 14:20:27 +0800
To: Jean Chouanard <Jean.Chouanard@grenoble.rxrc.xerox.com>
Subject: Re: US crypto laws? Need help!

On Wed, 10 Apr 1996, Jean Chouanard wrote:

> I was wondering if a foreigner like, with a valid work visa but not a
> permanet green card, is allowed to use crypto in the state.
>
> If yes, is there any restriction? Depending on crypto methods?

You need to get an export licence if you want to be legal; however, this
sort of licence is more or less automatic, and should only take a few
weeks to process.

Simon

---
They say in  online country             So which side are you on boys
There is no middle way                  Which side are you on
You'll either be a Usenet man           Which side are you on boys
Or a thug for the CDA                   Which side are you on?
  National Union of Computer Operatives; Hackers, local 37   APL-CPIO

Thread