1996-04-10 - Re: Enforcing the CDA improperly may pervert Internet architecture

Header Data

From: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
To: Scott Brickner <sjb@universe.digex.net>
Message Hash: 33e63faab6cd739b1384d925c2fe8720910b483cd9fd766faf3e7175e40237a5
Message ID: <2.2.32.19960410010847.00c91674@panix.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 11 Apr 1996 05:53:31 +0800

Raw message

From: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 1996 05:53:31 +0800
To: Scott Brickner <sjb@universe.digex.net>
Subject: Re: Enforcing the CDA improperly may pervert Internet architecture

At 12:38 PM 4/9/96 -0500, Scott Brickner wrote:

>Wait a second.  I don't know that it's really as impossible as you
>think.  Given the CDA advocates' hypothesis that anonymity is a Bad
>Thing (tm), it's reasonable for them to assume that the ISP can arrange
>to have a policy requiring that it know who's making the SLIP/PPP
>connection.  It's not too hard to have *every* packet generated by a
>given connection flagged with an IP option indicating "adult" or
>"minor".

Of course that doesn't overcome the "technical problem" of getting the IETF
to adopt that change in the protocols and getting a significant number of
sites to adopt the new protocol.  Even if you impose a substitutte on the
IETF, it doesn't stop them from wandering off and creating their independent
protocols and seeing whether the "official" or the "unofficial" get adopted.

DCF

Thread