1996-04-06 - Re: Was Cohen the first?

Header Data

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
To: cypherpunks <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Message Hash: 381b761fd848587db9255b69ed6775edfd4688cd187b2b157d2c46778db861f0
Message ID: <ad8abb671e021004df37@[205.199.118.202]>
Raw Date: Sat, 6 Apr 1996 17:02:37 +0800

Raw message

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 1996 17:02:37 +0800
To: cypherpunks <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Subject: Re: Was Cohen the first?

Little CP relevance, except as re: a former (maybe current, but no longer
actively participating) list member, so I'll be brief.

At 4:24 PM 4/5/96, Michael Wilson wrote:
>I ran across the following article, and it set me to wondering--did
>Dr. Cohen actually publish on 'computer viruses' before anybody else?
>He continues to use it as the bedrock of his reputation capital, so if
>this pre-dates his 'seminal' article, please let me know.
>
>Included message:
>For Liz Bass or Reg Gale
>Discovery
>9:31 AM Friday, April 5, 1996
>By Lou Dolinar
>
> This is still my favorite computer story.  I'm not saying it was the first
>piece ever written about computer viruses, but I won't say that it isn't.  I
>still have the original, dated  April 16, 1985.  In some ways I wish I hadn't

Much work was done in the 70s on "worms," which are related to viruses.
John Shoch (spelling may be wrong) at Xerox PARC developed a "worm" which
propagated from machine to machine, circa 1974 (give or take a year).

John Brunner immortalized this in "The Shockwave Rider," his 1975 novel in
which uber-hacker Nickie Halflinger uses worms to disable Big Brother's
panopticon network.

Having said this, Fred Cohen deserves credit for seriously studying
properties of replicating programs, including viruses. (And I believe he
coined the term virus, and also showed how it differs from a worm.) I will
make no particular claims about how _much_ credit he deserves, as this
seems petty. Nearly all discoveries have precursors, of course.

The work on worms clearly was a precursor. Also, general biological work on
replicating patterns was already going on, and Richard Dawkins' "The
Selfish Gene" had been published in the 1970s (and I believe the work on
replicating information patterns--memes--was important).

His views should be taken on their merits, not on whether or not he was the
first to study viruses or replicating programs in general.

As it happens, I find much of what Fred Cohen writes to be tedious and
repetitive, but not because he has gotten "too much" credit for his early
work.

--Tim May

Boycott "Big Brother Inside" software!