1996-04-11 - NPR is talking about smart card purses…

Header Data

From: John Young <jya@pipeline.com>
To: rah@shipwright.com
Message Hash: 3e20fdfe2a8d9746d01a1a9a03bf6928bb52dce62fd32862298ea1f8714c6561
Message ID: <199604110124.VAA01983@pipe3.nyc.pipeline.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 11 Apr 1996 17:51:17 +0800

Raw message

From: John Young <jya@pipeline.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 1996 17:51:17 +0800
To: rah@shipwright.com
Subject: NPR is talking about smart card purses...

Responding to msg by rah@shipwright.com (Robert Hettinga) on
Wed, 10 Apr  5:53 PM

>Chase, Citi, MC and others are offering a stored value
>card on the west  side of Manhattan. They're saying
>that smart cards are faster than cash.  Stick the card
>in, say yes to the amount.  The terminals are wired
>directly  to a bank account, so we're looking at a book
>entry system, it looks  like...
>
>The announcer is breathless at the possibilities....
>
>I wonder if this is CAFE, Mondex, or what? anyone
>know?

Yep, NYT has a story on it today, the testrun is in my own
pigsty.

It's by Citibank, Chase Manhattan, Mastercard and Visa:
electronic cash loaded on a plastic card that can be used to
make small purchases.

The article also reviews the state of the art.

Wanna see it from me, or try http://www.nytimes.com?

Thread