1996-04-24 - Re: Meta: The Arguing about the Terms of the Wager Continues

Header Data

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 44ddc0749a2b305c86fb450417bbb2ff21b806481874c0f01c03be76a5f3dd68
Message ID: <ada3a446010210045243@[205.199.118.202]>
Raw Date: Wed, 24 Apr 1996 14:41:54 -0700 (PDT)

Raw message

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 1996 14:41:54 -0700 (PDT)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Meta: The Arguing about the Terms of the Wager Continues

At 2:07 PM 4/24/96, jamesd@echeque.com wrote:
>At 11:45 PM 4/23/96 -0700, Timothy C. May wrote:
>> And so the back-and-forth continues...taking up even more list space
>> arguing, waffling, finessing, rebutting, disputing, and on an on.
>>
>> Exactly as several of us have predicted.
>
>True, but one should note that it is Jim Bell that is weaseling,
>and that Unicorn is not weaseling.

It doesn't matter too much who's mainly to blame--the result is the same.

And game-theory-wise, there is little incentive to quickly push the wager
to a well-defined final state. These "bets" are largely tail-feather
displays, anyway, so the posturing and weaseling serves the purpose of one
or more of the parties. Which is precisely why these bets take up so much
list bandwidth.

On the Extropians list, during the last few months I was on it, a huge
fraction of the list traffic was devoted to such arguments (along with
"pending court cases" involving one party filing charges against another,
searches for mediators, countersuits, judgments, arguments about
punishments, and on and on).

Frankly, I thought that Black Unicorn claimed to have seen the error of his
ways (in terms of debating with Bell) and was going to stop?

--Tim May

Boycott "Big Brother Inside" software!