1996-04-09 - Bulletin: Cypherpunks say no taxes owed by moneychangers!

Header Data

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 46b3c1b4abd1391cce52147313124fd555957b5e30106052d4939fc75b001394
Message ID: <ad8ea2c0010210042ee1@[205.199.118.202]>
Raw Date: Tue, 9 Apr 1996 13:12:03 +0800

Raw message

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 1996 13:12:03 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Bulletin: Cypherpunks say no taxes owed by moneychangers!

At 1:23 AM 4/8/96, jim bell wrote:
>At 12:53 PM 4/7/96 PDT, Jim Gillogly wrote:
>>
>>jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com> writes:
>>>FWIW, I think that there is no capital-gains-type tax on currency
>>>conversions.  In other words, if I take dollars and buy yen today, and the
>>
>>I bounced this off a CPA, who said she would be very suprised if this is
>>really the case: in general the IRS considers increases in wealth to be
>>taxable, and unless there's a specific exclusion for currency transactions
>>that she doesn't know about, she suspects this is not the case.  As a
>>conceptual counterexample she points out that you are responsible for any
>>profit you make from selling your car for more than you pay for it (but,
>>as you might expect, you don't get to take a loss if you sell it for less).
>
>That assumes that there is "profit" from exchanging currencies.  On any
>given transaction, there is never any "profit."  The only thing that might
>be called a profit is a difference in exchange rates, and that really isn't
>an increase in wealth at any point.   Ask that CPA to look it up.

There are people and companies who make a nice business in currency
exchange, ranging from the large companies one finds in international
airline terminals and banks to the smaller, "Mom and Pop" moneychangers one
finds in barrios and other such places.

These moneychangers attempt to make a "profit" on each exchange (else
they'd hardly stay in business).

It will probably come as a surprise to them that, according to both a CPA
and Jim Bell, no taxes are owed on their businesses, as "no wealth was
created."

Don't believe everything you read on this list, folks.

--Tim May

Boycott "Big Brother Inside" software!