1996-04-29 - Re: The Joy of Java

Header Data

From: “E. ALLEN SMITH” <EALLENSMITH@ocelot.Rutgers.EDU>
To: frantz@netcom.com
Message Hash: 499ef85232bee05a279e707b43a81dc5cfd4890768ce5a88662635d8e4f71c3b
Message ID: <01I432H2ATAI8Y53B6@mbcl.rutgers.edu>
Raw Date: Mon, 29 Apr 1996 12:09:03 +0800

Raw message

From: "E. ALLEN SMITH" <EALLENSMITH@ocelot.Rutgers.EDU>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 1996 12:09:03 +0800
To: frantz@netcom.com
Subject: Re: The Joy of Java

From:	IN%"frantz@netcom.com" 27-APR-1996 02:59:17.07

>At  3:57 PM 4/26/96 -0700, Timothy C. May wrote:
>>I think the interesting target date to plan for is a year from now.

>I said a few months ago that I thought Java would be ready for prime time
>in a couple of years.  I think we are in complete agreement here.

	If Java can indeed be reworked to provide proper security (e.g., if
Perry's incorrect in this case - everyone's falliable), then how much
modifications are likely to be necessary? I'm currently looking at the
possibility of learning a modern high-level computer language, and Java looks
like one of the more promising options. (I currently know a bit of Applesoft
Basic, Quattro Pro Macro language, VAX/VMS .COM file language, and MS-DOS
batch file language.) In other words, I'm wondering if it's worth my while to
learn Java now, or if I should wait (and possibly learn another language) until
the bugs are worked out? Will removing the flaws make it such a different
language that learning it now won't be of much use for someone like me?
	Thanks,
	-Allen

Thread