1996-04-23 - Re: Entropy

Header Data

From: jamesd@echeque.com
To: “Jed Liu” <cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 4f27317e18c09390dc90307e89007ee9201b7f7a167fac28bf7be00eacf4e1db
Message ID: <199604230500.WAA23405@dns1.noc.best.net>
Raw Date: Tue, 23 Apr 1996 16:37:11 +0800

Raw message

From: jamesd@echeque.com
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 1996 16:37:11 +0800
To: "Jed Liu" <cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Entropy

At 10:16 AM 4/22/96 EST, Jed Liu wrote:
> I've heard a lot of discussion here about "entropy tests" and "tests
> for randomness".  Could somebody please explain to me one of these
> tests (or would that take too long?) ?  Thanks.

You cannot test for entropy, not can you test for randomness.

You can however test for particular kinds of non randomness
and particular kinds of lack of entropy.

Such tests are only useful if you have an adequately understood
source of entropy.

Each such test is only appropriate for particular sources of
entropy.

and our property, because of the kind	|
derives from this right, not from the	|
arbitrary power of the state.		|   jamesd@echeque.com