1996-04-28 - Re: [NOISE] Re: Guardian angels, the decency brigade, andcyberserap

Header Data

From: “Allen B. Ethridge” <ethridge@Onramp.NET>
To: angels@wavenet.com (CyberAngels Director : Colin Gabriel Hatcher)
Message Hash: 5080e408f151fbda42ff74317d968bb935c8a21b5c2383c93f02fc68219c99b7
Message ID: <v03006600ada8c4679a53@[199.1.11.202]>
Reply To: <v01510106a9e30a91595f@[198.147.118.221]>
UTC Datetime: 1996-04-28 10:53:53 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 28 Apr 1996 18:53:53 +0800

Raw message

From: "Allen B. Ethridge" <ethridge@Onramp.NET>
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 1996 18:53:53 +0800
To: angels@wavenet.com (CyberAngels Director : Colin Gabriel Hatcher)
Subject: Re: [NOISE] Re: Guardian angels, the decency brigade, andcyberserap

angels@wavenet.com wrote:
>Peter Trei wrote about my signature:
>>
>>It's this last sig-quote that bothers me. It's worth noting that, unlike
>>the other two, it has no attribution. It looks like an inversion of
>>Benjamin Franklin's:
>>
>>" They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety
>>  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
>>         - Historical Review of Pennsylvania
>
>It is an inversion of that quotation and it does indeed sum up our focus.
>It has no name on it because I switched it around to make a motto for our
>work.  Not that I disagree with Franklin though.  The comment is true both
>ways around.

No.  "Those who sacrifice security for freedom, will have neither" is
not consistent with Franklin's statement, nor is it true.  Security and
freedom are antithetical, and worse than that, security is always an
illusion.  But you can have your illusion, as long as you keep it out of
my life.  Censor yourself if you wish, but don't censor anything I might
want to look up.

>>People usually put in their .sigs quotes they feel sum up their personal
>>philiosophy. I guess soon we'll see 'Gabriel' give us some more words
>>to live by; these may be right up his alley:
>>
>>"War is Peace"
>>"Ignorance is Strength"
>>"Freedom is Slavery"
>>        - Orwell, "1984"
>
>:)  As a former teacher at the University of London department of adult
>studies, teaching history, politics and International Relations I can
>assure you I am very familiar with the history and belief of
>totalitarianism - and have opposed them all my life.

Yeah, right.

Although you don't seem to have mastered propaganda quite yet.

	allen
	ethridge@onramp.net

Thread