1996-04-02 - Navajo code-talkers

Header Data

From: Brian D Williams <talon57@well.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 516f111eee8cce30787ceb3f0f114603a10eb90ba8fdcb15b4b69e91d8df3530
Message ID: <199604012155.NAA00640@well.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 2 Apr 1996 15:26:20 +0800

Raw message

From: Brian D Williams <talon57@well.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 1996 15:26:20 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Navajo code-talkers

Tim May comments:

>According to an episode of "The X Files," which dealt with Navajo
>code-talkers, the answer is that young Navajo men are losing their
>fluency in Navajo, especially of the nuances and double entendres
>that code-talkers relied upon. (For those who scoff at using a
>television show as a source, writers for shows like this often do
>more interesting research than, say, the average encyclopedia
>article will report.)

 Navajo also has something now it didn't have before WWII, a
written language, and I believe a rudimentary dictionary.

Brian

Thread