1996-04-24 - Re: “Separate but equal” as a racist doctrine

Header Data

From: “E. ALLEN SMITH” <EALLENSMITH@ocelot.Rutgers.EDU>
To: tallpaul@pipeline.com
Message Hash: 5d65529a65dd37631e5393597c86523904149405ecbafa5d67a3d514a56363ef
Message ID: <01I3X3T0O8408Y50EU@mbcl.rutgers.edu>
Raw Date: Wed, 24 Apr 1996 09:11:37 -0700 (PDT)

Raw message

From: "E. ALLEN SMITH" <EALLENSMITH@ocelot.Rutgers.EDU>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 1996 09:11:37 -0700 (PDT)
To: tallpaul@pipeline.com
Subject: Re: "Separate but equal" as a racist doctrine

From:	IN%"tallpaul@pipeline.com" 24-APR-1996 03:36:53.30

>For some considerable period of time the doctrine of "separate but equal"
>was one of the major racist theories in the U.S.

      I am quite aware of this; I grew up in the South. In practice, it
wasn't seperate but equal; it was separate but unequal. This was the intent of
the persons pushing it, which made them racist. (They are also justifiably
classified as racist on many other grounds).

>People who wish to organize for racist ideology behind this doctrine while
>proclaiming they are not racists merely place themselves in the old racist
>camp. Their organizing for (and their denials of) racist ideology does not
>make them less racist, just less honest.

      Persons who wish to organize for _racist_ ideology, yes. But assuming
that every separatist is actually a racist is about like assuming that everyone
on this list is an anarcho-capitalist; while correct in the majority of cases,
it isn't correct in all. (You and I are both exceptions, for instance.)
      -Allen

Thread