1996-04-11 - Re: Anonymous Remailer threat: Scientologists may subpoena anonymous remailer records?

Header Data

From: Hal <hfinney@shell.portal.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 8090c82dd4caf07cf9037f161a04dbe48fda7802e2b8ccf60882e7e006fc4067
Message ID: <199604111440.HAA05561@jobe.shell.portal.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 12 Apr 1996 04:44:53 +0800

Raw message

From: Hal <hfinney@shell.portal.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 1996 04:44:53 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Anonymous Remailer threat: Scientologists may subpoena	  anonymous remailer records?

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
> At 7:37 PM 4/10/96, Jim Byrd wrote:
> >to find the identity of -AB-.  This turned out to be an alumni account at
> >Cal Tech.  The poster has never been heard from again.
>
> This was without a doubt just a user of one of Hal Finney's remailers he
> runs out of an account at Caltech. (There's a tiny chance it was someone
> else, but it fits the description of Hal's "alumni" remailer exactly, and
> is almost certainly just that.)

Actually, this is not true.  The poster, from rumors I have heard, was
someone else with a Caltech alumni account (I don't know who).  I have
never been contacted by any representatives of Scientology with respect
to this case.  So it is apparently just a coincidence that this case
involved the same system as my remailer.

Hal

Thread