1996-04-10 - Re: Disclosure of Public Knowledge to Foreigners

Header Data

From: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
To: sthomson@netcom.com
Message Hash: 89ca040d81087a531e22cecefe70bc4d3723403d6adfef6edf73a758ac3291d9
Message ID: <199604100705.AAA21823@toad.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 11 Apr 1996 02:40:21 +0800

Raw message

From: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 1996 02:40:21 +0800
To: sthomson@netcom.com
Subject: Re: Disclosure of Public Knowledge to Foreigners

>>Date: Tue, 9 Apr 1996 15:44:52 -0700 (PDT)
>>From: shelley thomson <sthomson@netcom.com>
>>        The church of scientology plans to subpoena the records of every
>>anonymous remailer in the USA.
>>        On the basis of events today, Ward believes the church will
>>issue subpoenas for the records of every anonymous remailer in the USA.
>>        If these records are delivered to the church, our First Amendment
>>rights go with them.

They can have all the records for the pamphlet remailer from the relevant
time periods - it doesn't keep any.  I may have to start some sort of
short-term log-keeping to deal with spam problems (for now, I've shut it down,
because of a particularly hostile kind of spam that would require grepping the
body of each outgoing message to stop, and I haven't written code for that.)
If I do start logging, I'll probably also insist that all incoming traffic
be encrypted.  And there are certainly ECPA issues involved in a subpoena,
as well as major First-Amendment issues, reporter shield law issues (though
I gather those vary by state), and such.

        Good luck!
#					Thanks;  Bill
# Bill Stewart, stewarts@ix.netcom.com, +1-415-442-2215

Thread