1996-04-05 - Fwd: Anonymous code name allocated.

Header Data

From: JonWienke@aol.com
To: coderpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 8d7fb05170c695c3dc7ece94c3465c2d6d1ecde7a42c6e0d477bb57ac56189f7
Message ID: <960404135136264041269@emout04.mail.aol.com>
Reply To: _N/A

UTC Datetime: 1996-04-05 05:12:21 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 5 Apr 1996 13:12:21 +0800

Raw message

From: JonWienke@aol.com
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 1996 13:12:21 +0800
To: coderpunks@toad.com
Subject: Fwd: Anonymous code name allocated.

[The following has been censored to protect the guilty.]

>Subj:	Anonymous code name allocated.
>Date:	96-04-02 23:37:10 EST
>From:	daemon@anon.penet.fi (System Daemon)
>To:	jonwienke@aol.com
>
>You have sent a message using the anon.penet.fi anonymous forwarding
service.
>You have been allocated the code name anXXXXXX.
>You can be reached anonymously using the address
>anXXXXXX@anon.penet.fi.
>
>If you want to use a nickname, please send a message to
>nick@anon.penet.fi, with a Subject: field containing your nickname.
>
>For instructions, send a message to help@anon.penet.fi.

I tried sending a test message to the address indicated, and received it back
a day later, so sending email to this address does reach me.  The funny part
is that I have never (to my knowledge) had any communication with
anon.penet.fi prior to receiving this email.

Questions:
1. How do I use this to SEND messages anonymously?  Having an email address
with no obvious link to my identity is cool, but I would like to be able to
send as well as receive.  I sent email to help@anon.penet.fi, but have
received no response yet.

2. Why was I chosen for this?  How did anon.penet.fi find out my email
address?  Is the NSA trying to lull me into a false sense of security in the
hope that I will use this account to violate ITAR?

3. Has anyone else on this list received unsolicited remailer accounts?

Jonathan Wienke
You have sent a message using the anon.penet.fi anonymous forwarding service.
You have been allocated the code name an573530.
You can be reached anonymously using the address
an573530@anon.penet.fi.

If you want to use a nickname, please send a message to
nick@anon.penet.fi, with a Subject: field containing your nickname.

For instructions, send a message to help@anon.penet.fi.

Thread