1996-04-03 - (fwd fyi) SecureNet to allow classified data on the I’net??

Header Data

From: foodie@netcom.com (Jamie Lawrence)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 9ad5fc767dad4a051edd5d442738408671efbf5a40b0b7242b17ac44f89fa552
Message ID: <v02140b01ad873ce03f77@DialupEudora>
Raw Date: Wed, 3 Apr 1996 16:19:58 +0800

Raw message

From: foodie@netcom.com (Jamie Lawrence)
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 1996 16:19:58 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: (fwd fyi) SecureNet to allow classified data on the I'net??

--- begin forwarded text

Date: Mon, 1 Apr 1996 17:11:21 -0800

From: jwarren@well.com (Jim Warren)

For whatever it's worth -- from an unknown source inside a govt lab,
forwwarded to me by an outside friend.  Distribute freely, as far as I'm
concerned.

--jim
Jim Warren, GovAccess list-owner/editor (jwarren@well.com)
Advocate & columnist, MicroTimes, Government Technology, etc.

A "Superlab" linking the computational resources of four national laboratories
has come a big step toward becoming a reality with the opening of SecureNet --
a network for transmitting secret and classified data over the Internet. Bing
Young, who led the Lab's part in the project, says the new network is still
only a "dirt road" able to transmit data at 1.5 megabits/second. However, he
says new encryption technologies will bring the network up to information
superhighway speeds over the next year.

Young will discuss SecureNet in a presentation at 10 a.m., Wednesday, April
3, in Bldg. 113, room 1104. Green-badge employees only. The Department of
Energy gave approval in March for the network developed by the Lab, Los
Alamos and the two Sandia laboratories to improve scientific collaboration
in Stockpile Stewardship programs.

--- end forwarded text

Thread