1996-04-06 - Re: pgp keys

Header Data

From: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
To: jpps@voicenet.com
Message Hash: a0d534f354ec7f94b2596a9acf6b6d06a22a3eb6437955fa3e07a1d5c984015f
Message ID: <199604060900.BAA24994@dfw-ix3.ix.netcom.com>
Raw Date: Sat, 6 Apr 1996 20:57:51 +0800

Raw message

From: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 1996 20:57:51 +0800
To: jpps@voicenet.com
Subject: Re: pgp keys

At 11:55 AM 4/4/96 -0500, Jack P. Starrantino   jpps@voicenet.com wrote:
>Is there a reliable method for obtaining the pgp public key for an
>arbitrary email address? [....] to obtain keys I do not have.

Reliable?  No; not everybody follows The One True KeyDistribution Method,
or even follows one-or-more of the popular electronic approaches,
and not all keys that are distributed electronically are on the Internet,
though some of them may be on intranets or fido or uucp nets.

There's also the problem that the results are not unique.  If you look
at the MIT keyserver, http://www-swiss.ai.mit.edu/~bal/pks-toplev.html,
in the cluttered "Bill Stewart" namespace, you'll find several Bill Stewarts,
and you'll find many people have multiple keys for each email address,
especially after they've been in the servers a few years.

>I've caught some of the discussion on key servers, and noted some
>people's use of their signature, plan, or home page to distribute their
>keys.  Are some combination of these suitable today?

There's a collection of keyservers that stay in sync with each other,
including the ones at pgp.mit.edu.  bal's http interface is a popular
way to access them, though there are others communications methods as well.
Some other people use finger; finger's really just a telnet to port 79
while sending a requested name and holding the connection up to wait for