1996-04-21 - Re: Bernstein ruling meets the virus law

Header Data

From: shamrock@netcom.com (Lucky Green)
To: Computer Virus Help Desk <cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: a69aba0a151a605c8c3b365c047e00feab6acb1788d0eddd3ff3f2fc0ea27ee2
Message ID: <v02120d06ad9f30db9509@[192.0.2.1]>
Raw Date: Sun, 21 Apr 1996 11:38:36 +0800

Raw message

From: shamrock@netcom.com (Lucky Green)
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 1996 11:38:36 +0800
To: Computer Virus Help Desk <cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Bernstein ruling meets the virus law

At 15:50 4/20/96, Computer Virus Help Desk wrote:

>To the best of our knowledge simply writing Virus Code including it's
>"distribution" is not a crime in the United States.  However, the
>deliberate, malicious upload or infection of another's computer or system is
>a crime in many states.

What about making Virus binaries available for download? Someone I know has
been thinking about putting the famous "Outlaws" CD on the web, to provide
a one-stop place for unrestricted virus information, including source code
and live viruses. Of course the user has to accept an agreement that they
will use the information for research purposes only.

Disclaimer: My opinions are my own, not those of my employer, DigiCash, Inc.

-- Lucky Green <mailto:shamrock@netcom.com>
   PGP encrypted mail preferred.

Thread