1996-04-16 - Re: RSA-130 Falls to NFS - Lenstra Posting to sci.crypt.research

Header Data

From: mpd@netcom.com (Mike Duvos)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: af78705a4d951d4abf1d59ea9cf7dfb23fcba040ceade610c829e0f2a862e6bc
Message ID: <199604152038.NAA03204@netcom10.netcom.com>
Reply To: <199604151824.LAA07600@netcom6.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-04-16 00:42:34 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 08:42:34 +0800

Raw message

From: mpd@netcom.com (Mike Duvos)
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 08:42:34 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: RSA-130 Falls to NFS - Lenstra Posting to sci.crypt.research

"Vladimir Z. Nuri" <vznuri@netcom.com> writes:

 > I have been wondering about malicious hackers getting into
 > these pools. would it be possible for them to contribute
 > false data that screws up the end results? or are such
 > anomalies easily discarded or disregarded by the final
 > processes?

If you are doing a distributed search of a key space, then it is
of course possible that people, either accidently or
deliberately, may fail to correctly do their part of the search
and report misleading results.  You may recall a hostile attack
on SSL a while back where the design was flawless but the desired
key failed to appear when the results of the individual searches
were merged.

Fortunately, where integer factorization is concerned, it is
trivial to verify the full and partial relations for correctness
and discard any bad data during the counting process.  Thus there
is no chance of garbage making it into the final reduction.

 > there is a reduction step in the NFS (number field sieve,
 > technique used to factor large numbers) in which all the
 > collected data is mashed. how sensitive is this process to
 > spurious data? i.e. if there was a little bit of bad data
 > in its computation, does it completely screw it up, or is it
 > robust and resistant to this kind of problem?

The input to the reduction step is simply a large number of ways
of making the number "1" by multiplying together elements of the
factor base, all modulo the number of be factored.  Given an
overdetermined set of such relations, one can can search for
linearly dependent combinations of their exponents modulo 2. Each
such dependency permits one to construct a relation in which all
the exponents are even, and possibly a non-trivial square root of
1 modulo N.  Since each dependency has at least a 50-50 chance of
yielding a factor of N, only a handful of them are needed.

Certainly bad data in the matrix could cause problems, but the
matrix is sparse and damage would probably be localized.  You
might get out some dependencies that weren't real, but unless you
had quite a lot of garbage data, you would probably get enough
good ones to succeed.  Non-relations involving small primes would
probably be more poisonous than ones involving the high end of
the factor base.  In any case, as I stated earlier, it is trivial
to guarantee all the data going into the final reduction has been
sterilized.

 > it seems to me that in many cases, these collaborative
 > projects virtually cannot check the validity of the
 > supplied data without repeating the computation effort,
 > although there may be good tests that tend to screen out
 > "most" bad data.

 > future implementors of these programs might amuse
 > themselves with trying to create such safeguards or
 > anticipate such "attacks" which are pretty significant the
 > more the processes become distributed.

The only safeguards I can think of when doing a distributed
search of a keyspace are to randomly assign each area to be
searched to multiple participants, and to encapsulate the
software in some sort of hack-resistant module, possibly
calculating a running hash which could be checked when results
were submitted to the central authority.

If you have 10,000 volunteers, each searching 0.01% of the
keyspace using a klutz-proof software module, quite a few
sophisticated users would have to collaborate to create a
significant chance of missing the key.

In cyptography, as in life, there are no guarantees.

--
     Mike          $    PGP 2.6 Public Key available     $
     mpd@netcom.com     $    via Finger.                      $

Thread