1996-04-21 - (Privacy) Stop unwanted email

Header Data

From: “Joseph M. Reagle Jr.” <reagle@MIT.EDU>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: b77356818c11d1667b2847f5a2a08998a3891595b8939520a1fe6aec088771e9
Message ID: <9604211749.AA13551@rpcp.mit.edu>
Raw Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1996 05:48:15 +0800

Raw message

From: "Joseph M. Reagle Jr." <reagle@MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1996 05:48:15 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: (Privacy) Stop unwanted email

>From: 'reagle@ATHENA.MIT.EDU'" <reagle@MIT.EDU>
>To: "Jack M. Spiegel" <mobius@llv.com>"
>Subject: Stop unwanted email
>Date: Sat, 20 Apr 1996 20:47:45 -0700
>Encoding: 43 TEXT
>
>4-20-96  9321
>
>Hi  reagle@ATHENA.MIT.EDU:
>
>Your name was on a list that I bought. It was advertised as a "clean list"
>of people who do not object to getting junk email. After sending a few
>hundred, I realized the list was not "clean" and decided to create a place
>on the net where people can register not to get junk email. In the future,
>I will offer to clean other lists that other commercial mailers are
>compiling.

        Huh, can I ask who you purchased this list from and how much was my
privacy bought/sold for? (I might have sold it cheaper! <grin>)

>You can log onto my web site http://www.directnet.com/~spiegel, and
>register not to be on the list. There are no graphics on the web page, its
>just a form, so it won't take long to load.  All you need to leave is your
>email address  (the rest, even your name is optional) and press submit.
>
>Before you get upset, think about it, you are already on some kind of list,
>because I have your address. Registering at my web site will only take you
>off the list. There is no advertising on the page, there is no money being
>made by this.
>
>I will take your name off of this list and off any other list that  other
>mailers submit. I will not give your name or address out to anyone else.
>
>I know that some people don't have browsers and only have mail access. If
>you are among that group, please send email to me at  mobius@llv.com and be
>sure to put your email address in the subject field and nothing in the body
>of the letter.
> DO NOT REPLY AND SEND BACK THIS LETTER, IT WILL BE IGNORED BY MY SYSTEM !
>By the way, if you get junk mail, refer them to my web site as well and by
>all means, tell your friends to register.
>
>Maybe this will help.
>
>Oh, and if you don't care about junk mail, you don't have to do a thing!
>
>Thank you
>
>Jack Spiegel

Regards,            I am a creationist; I refuse to believe that I could have
                    evolved from humans.
Joseph  Reagle      http://farnsworth.mit.edu/~reagle/home.html
reagle@mit.edu      E0 D5 B2 05 B6 12 DA 65  BE 4D E3 C1 6A 66 25 4E

Thread