1996-04-15 - GPS privacy/ECM

Header Data

From: Brian D Williams <talon57@well.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: bc373afbcd5a2ac45088d8aaba1a6c4ff6f4f5f7eeb27a65841af1101f298d4d
Message ID: <199604151548.IAA19700@well.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 03:49:16 +0800

Raw message

From: Brian D Williams <talon57@well.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 03:49:16 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: GPS privacy/ECM

I have been following the recent discussion on Denning's GPS I.D.
plan and had some thoughts:

I wonder what the pro-govt anti-privacy types would do if some
obnoxious group started publishing a list with the home/work GPS of
say various congresspersons/senatepersons?

Since cruise missile's already use GPS to find/destroy their
target, how long do you figure before some terrorist group use's
this ever cheaper tech to trigger one of it's devices?

<car bombs, the poor man's air force>

What defences are there? Just how small/inexpensive could a home
GPS/ECM system be?

Personnel dithering? Locally transmitting your own public key
encrypted location.

This is thoughtfood only.

Brian

Thread