1996-04-08 - Re: “Contempt” charges likely to increase

Header Data

From: ddfr@best.com (david friedman)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: bf18a2872708be1a8e1f1f56b12c0cf1e9e71805de8de9262c4f5260b83fdcc1
Message ID: <v02130502ad8dd64ae9b2@[205.149.171.135]>
Raw Date: Mon, 8 Apr 1996 20:56:14 +0800

Raw message

From: ddfr@best.com (david friedman)
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 1996 20:56:14 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: "Contempt" charges likely to increase

Unicorn wrote:

> No ISP in its right mind is going to ask for trouble.  If I'm a
>prosecutor and I suspect that the ISP may be complicit in hiding
>evidence, I'm going to ask for a search and seizure warrant (a la sun
>devil) and just walk in and take the equipment I believe the data to be
>on and then satisify myself that it's unattainable.

Last semester I taught a seminar on computers, crime, and privacy and we
had, as a guest lecturer one evening, Silicon Valley's one full time
computer cop (he works for the SC County D.A.'s office). One of his
comments was that ISP's were generally very cooperative, because they knew
that he could legally impose large costs on them by seizing their systems
as evidence.

David Friedman

Thread