1996-04-22 - Re: CoS and anon remailers

Header Data

From: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
To: Jim Byrd <cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: cf9879a20c836137cc8766fc1a1edb591fd0edda2f6d6519dad4718368029a54
Message ID: <2.2.32.19960422103718.00ce7260@panix.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1996 21:42:33 +0800

Raw message

From: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1996 21:42:33 +0800
To: Jim Byrd <cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: CoS and anon remailers

At 02:49 PM 4/10/96 -0400, Jim Byrd wrote:
>My feeling is that they will be doing anything they can
>to attempt to produce "hard evidence" that I am part of
>the Grand Conspiracy. I would say it is virtually certain
>that U.S. anon remailers will be subpoenaed as well as any
>foreign ones in which they can handle the authorities.

Isn't it a bit difficult to subpeona an anonymous remailer?

If run on a large enough system, a remailer can be shut down but not siezed.
(I can imagine the marshalls hauling off the Cal Tech mainframes.)

If a remailer operator has an accomodation address and/or a false name
effective service of process also becomes difficult.

Usually in life I've noticed that if you just ignore stuff it goes away.
Occaisionally you will be hassled but if you ignore many of the orders of
others for your whole life, you will find that your net amount of what we
might call "autonomous activity" will be greater than if you slavishly obey
every order.

DCF

Thread