1996-04-27 - [NOISE] Re: Guardian angels, the decency brigade, and cyberserap

Header Data

From: “Peter Trei” <ptrei@ACM.ORG>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: d0d40b6c9e468aa57a204c889ce623cfc5a835cc8526051d367da4eda28cabd4
Message ID: <199604261605.JAA20253@toad.com>
Raw Date: Sat, 27 Apr 1996 09:59:39 +0800

Raw message

From: "Peter Trei" <ptrei@ACM.ORG>
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 1996 09:59:39 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: [NOISE] Re: Guardian angels, the decency brigade, and cyberserap

[Moderately innocuous, self-justifying letter mostly deleted]

> CyberAngels is about self-regulation.  Let us not confuse the fight against
> internet crime with the criminalization of free speech.  We propose the
> former not the latter.
>
> Gabriel

> "All that is required for the triumph of evil is that good men
> and women remain silent and do nothing" (Edmund Burke)
>
> "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment
> of religion or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or
> abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the
> right of the people peaceably to assemble and to petition
> the Government for a redress of grievances."
> (US First Amendment to the Constitution)
>
> "Those who sacrifice security for freedom, will have neither"

It's this last sig-quote that bothers me. It's worth noting that, unlike
the other two, it has no attribution. It looks like an inversion of
Benjamin Franklin's:

" They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety
  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
         - Historical Review of Pennsylvania

People usually put in their .sigs quotes they feel sum up their personal
philiosophy. I guess soon we'll see 'Gabriel' give us some more words
to live by; these may be right up his alley:

"War is Peace"
"Ignorance is Strength"
"Freedom is Slavery"
	- Orwell, "1984"

Gabriel's also misquoting Burke - the actual text is:
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good people to do nothing. "

Peter Trei
ptrei@acm.org

Thread