1996-04-12 - Re: Digital Cash Escrow

Header Data

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
To: “Vladimir Z. Nuri” <vznuri@netcom.com>
Message Hash: d5bee4792e59bf028992996fee3178629c4da85936740081f1cf7e9caef2df30
Message ID: <ad92e5ef110210042db1@[205.199.118.202]>
Raw Date: Fri, 12 Apr 1996 12:36:59 +0800

Raw message

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 1996 12:36:59 +0800
To: "Vladimir Z. Nuri" <vznuri@netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Digital Cash Escrow

At 8:27 PM 4/11/96, Vladimir Z. Nuri wrote:

>give me a break!!! the future government attempts to squelch,
>suppress, restrict, prohibit, regulate, tax, spindle, and
>mutilate Digital Cash will make Clipper look as significant and
>threatening as a christmas tree ornament.

Larry, are you just _now_ realizing these implications? A few years ago you
were fairly dismissive of these effects, arguing mainly that "electrocrisy"
(electronic democracy?) would be the main effect, or at least the program
that Cypherpunks should push.

>as I wrote in an earlier essay, the possibilities of combining
>digital cash with stock market company shares suggest a radical
>new economy that would have the potential to topple a lot of
>very powerful existing interests, in the way that printing presses
>once toppled the Church.
>
>to borrow a bit of Chinese black humor, "we live in interesting times".
>we will be living in even more interesting times shortly.

Sure. I wrote essays along these lines as early as 1987, with the ideas
apparent to me even earlier. (Cf., for example, "The Crypto Anarchist
Manifesto," 1987.)

Glad you are finally tuned in to our channel.

--Tim May

Boycott "Big Brother Inside" software!