1996-04-30 - Re: Calling other code in Java applications and applets

Header Data

From: Hal <hfinney@shell.portal.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: e3fa91e4feaca78c2bd7f0e12fe6e04e22b1d52fb654635b377ab27eb4c41c23
Message ID: <199604301429.HAA08069@jobe.shell.portal.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 1 May 1996 07:31:19 +0800

Raw message

From: Hal <hfinney@shell.portal.com>
Date: Wed, 1 May 1996 07:31:19 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Calling other code in Java applications and applets

I understand that Sun is considering including a bignum package and
possibly other crypto support in native form in a future release of
Java.  There has been considerable discussion of this on the coderpunks
list.  Apparently Sun has said they will release their crypto API
within the next week or so.  However these kinds of things are often
delayed, in my experience.  An earlier version of the crypto API was
shared with Java developers at a meeting a few months ago, and the
response was quite negative, according to list memebers.  The class and
method design in many cases seemed awkward, spotty, and inconsistent.
Apparently there are also export considerations, with the NSA resisting
the inclusion of too many explicitly crypto oriented classes.

Hal

Thread