1996-04-26 - RE: Mindshare and Java

Header Data

From: James Childers <JC6452@FS2HOST.CCCCD.EDU>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: e57af3155b894c862f1b0a9ea74ccd2ef36de01711d561018d5a626398d45fc4
Message ID: <96Apr25.190047cdt.9739@cricket.ccccd.edu>
Raw Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 17:05:50 -0700 (PDT)

Raw message

From: James Childers <JC6452@FS2HOST.CCCCD.EDU>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 17:05:50 -0700 (PDT)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: RE: Mindshare and Java

> > As cool as many of the people on the Java team are, though, I am dubious
> > that Java is going to live up to the hype.

Same here. If someone writes a secure electronic-wallet type system
with Java, then I'll be impressed. Until then, all I've seen
implemented is kEWL text graphics.

> There was an official announcement at their Professional Developers Conference
> a few weeks back.  In short, full support in the browsers (and apparently MS
> is now the keeper of the reference implementation on Win32) and also
> a full blown Java development environment code-named 'Jakarta'.

Didn't MS ditch their proprietary Java-like language? Interesting, if
so...

Thread