1996-04-11 - Re: Protocols at the Point of a Gun

Header Data

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: f55f3481feff5ce43508581fa52b0279e06861526e79833f7d23fc7a27e08f06
Message ID: <ad91aa3306021004ff98@[205.199.118.202]>
Raw Date: Thu, 11 Apr 1996 22:01:34 +0800

Raw message

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 1996 22:01:34 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Protocols at the Point of a Gun

At 1:48 PM 4/10/96, Duncan Frissell wrote:

>Well this is as good a time and place as any to ask the question that
>none of the opposition seems to have asked (perhaps because they don't
>know enough to ask):  How do you force geographically dispersed nodes
>on a distributed network to adopt a set of officially mandated protocols?
>
>But first a reading assignment:  "How Anarchy Works--Inside the Internet
>Engineering Task Force" from Wired.
>
>http://www.hotwired.com/wired/3.10/departments/electrosphere/ietf.html

I'd also recommend Michael Froomkin's article "The Internet as a Source of
Regulatory Arbitrage," available at

http://www.law.miami.edu/~froomkin/arbitr.htm

It gets into the nature of IETF-type stuff, especially vis-a-vis the
difficulty jurisdictions have in enforcing parochial rules.

--Tim May

Boycott "Big Brother Inside" software!