1996-04-13 - Re: Edited Edupage, 4 April 1996

Header Data

From: “Michael C. Peponis” <mianigand@[205.164.13.10]>
To: “E. ALLEN SMITH” <cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: ff0fe96473b7998b2873a135c0541ae55b24761d513710a3e3076e7b980c2004
Message ID: <199604131820.OAA28940@Fe3.rust.net>
Raw Date: Sun, 14 Apr 1996 05:33:22 +0800

Raw message

From: "Michael C. Peponis" <mianigand@[205.164.13.10]>
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 1996 05:33:22 +0800
To: "E. ALLEN SMITH" <cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Edited Edupage, 4 April 1996

On 12 Apr 96 ,E. ALLEN SMITH wrote:

> From:	IN%"educom@elanor.oit.unc.edu"  5-APR-1996 01:25:00.85

> >IBM'S INTELLIGENT MINER DIGS OUT THE GOOD STUFF
> >IBM plans to offer companies "data mining" software and services, allowing
> >them to make better use of disparate pieces of information stored in their
> >computer systems.  The Intelligent Miner software will be available on IBM's
> >RS/6000 servers by the fall, and on other platforms by year end.  The
> >company also plans to develop Intelligent Decision Server software for local
> >area network-based information analysis.  (Investor's Business Daily 3 Apr
> >96 A9)
>
> 	Anyone have any _specific_ ideas on how their Intelligent Miner system
> works? It would appear to be relevant to the identity-spoofing discussions.
> 	-Allen

Not really, it's a tool used in Data Warehousing/Decission Support
Systems.

Here is what it is in a nut shell.

A company creates a Data Warehouse, defining it's data universe in
terms of business rules and practices.

Data Mining is the process by which users try to make sence of all
the data.

They call it "intelligent" because it supports natural language
queries, ie the end user does not need to know SQL or the table
layouts to retrieve the information they want.

Very sketchy explination, but there are entire volumes written on the
subject, and it's new technology so the exact definition varies
depending on who you ask.

I have been developing systems like this for the past year, and I
still can't give people a cut and dry answer as to what the hell it
is.
Regards,
Michael C. Peponis
Public Key Avalible Via Key Servers, or Finger

Thread