1996-05-08 - Re: Police tactics question

Header Data

From: “msmith” <msmith@rebound.slc.unisys.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 097940118c93e983ce3517857eda13ff70ffb4096d53c40435907a594db95d59
Message ID: <199605072045.UAA14348@rebound.slc.unisys.com>
Reply To: <01I4E2S0NTES8Y583T@mbcl.rutgers.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1996-05-08 04:15:55 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 8 May 1996 12:15:55 +0800

Raw message

From: "msmith" <msmith@rebound.slc.unisys.com>
Date: Wed, 8 May 1996 12:15:55 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Police tactics question

> 	I've often heard of the police/postmaster mailing someone child
> pornography prior to going in and busting them for possession of it. What are
> the legal matters in such cases?

Well, that's how they busted the Amateur Action BBS from what I remember.
Basically they mail you the porno, arrest you as soon as you pick up the box,
and then that gives them probably cause to get a warrant to rip apart your
computer and charge you with other things.  The charges that were filed
against Robert Thomas (sysop of the AA BBS) for picking up that box were
eventually cleared, but he was convicted of other charges apparently.

So it's more used as a tool to find other charges.  Those charges are
eventually dropped.

--
Matt Smith - msmith@unislc.slc.unisys.com
"Nothing travels faster than light, with the possible exception of bad news,

Thread