1996-05-28 - Re: Quickremail v1.0b

Header Data

From: loki@infonex.com (Lance Cottrell)
To: “E. ALLEN SMITH” <markm@voicenet.com
Message Hash: 0aa8193bdcd5c3129f924c76ce8282d6a6496b3636ebd68faa6b47a2aea84f21
Message ID: <adcff7c70b021004289b@[206.170.115.3]>
Raw Date: Tue, 28 May 1996 12:02:53 +0800

Raw message

From: loki@infonex.com (Lance Cottrell)
Date: Tue, 28 May 1996 12:02:53 +0800
To: "E. ALLEN SMITH" <markm@voicenet.com
Subject: Re: Quickremail v1.0b

At 2:28 PM 5/27/96, E. ALLEN SMITH wrote:
>From:   IN%"markm@voicenet.com"  "Mark M." 27-MAY-1996 12:57:44.84
>
>>On Sun, 26 May 1996, Lance Cottrell wrote:
>
>>> Which remailers does it install?
>
>>Mixmaster, and it gives a choice of either installing the Freedom remailer or
>>the remailer code written by Matt Ghio.  It also has support for reorder
>>scripts, but I haven't debugged that part yet.
>
>        What are the major differences between the various Mixmaster remailer
>codes, especially in terms of the logistics of running a remailer? I'm
>particularly interested in aspects related to A. running one by someone not
>particularly familiar with UNIX (e.g., me) and B. a remailer accepting/sending
>mail only from/to a limited list of addresses (e.g., only other remailers).
>        Thanks,
>        -Allen
>
>P.S. I'm planning on starting up a remailer, probably on Lance's machine (to
>take advantage of his expertise) sometime this summer. I do want to get PGP for
>the VAX before then, and the MIT site doesn't appear to have this code.

I thing you misunderstood his answer, it installs Mixmaster and also
installs either the Ghio or Freedom remailer. There are several flavors of
remailer. The most common (but not most popular) are Cypherpunk and
Mixmaster. At this time there is only one implementation of Mixmaster,
mine. There are several version of the Cypherpunk remailer (A.K.A. Type 1)
of which "Ghio" and "Freedom" are two. Mixmaster is known as a Type 2
remailer. Type 1 and type 2 are completely incompatible.

        -Lance

Lance Cottrell   loki@obscura.com
PGP 2.6 key available by finger or server.
Mixmaster, the next generation remailer, is now available!
http://www.obscura.com/~loki/Welcome.html or FTP to obscura.com

"Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra.  Suddenly
it flips over, pinning you underneath.  At night the ice
weasels come."
                        --Nietzsche