1996-05-23 - Re: MixMaster fair use

Header Data

From: “E. ALLEN SMITH” <EALLENSMITH@ocelot.Rutgers.EDU>
To: loki@infonex.com
Message Hash: 0bbe2d923eff3ed0fc961ec8d5a357735f02545d9631224fab557d703405f436
Message ID: <01I50JO1JL548Y4X9G@mbcl.rutgers.edu>
Raw Date: Thu, 23 May 1996 11:12:21 +0800

Raw message

From: "E. ALLEN SMITH" <EALLENSMITH@ocelot.Rutgers.EDU>
Date: Thu, 23 May 1996 11:12:21 +0800
To: loki@infonex.com
Subject: Re: MixMaster fair use

From:	IN%"loki@infonex.com" 22-MAY-1996 03:43:54.45

>It is patent on RSA, which expires in 2000 as I remember. It can be
>licensed, but it is not cheap. I don't know how they would handle a free
>program which people pay to use.

	Do they allow non-profit usage? If so, you could send out a new version
that supported ecash payments, with an agreement not to use it for profit. I'd
call building up a reserve against legal fees a justifiable action for a
non-profit organization (if the interest went back into the same account or
toward operating the remailer), but IANAL. Could someone who is comment,
preferably after looking over the RSA license?
	-Allen

Thread