1996-05-24 - Cyber-Anarchy

Header Data

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 18e0af77c4bd1e10cf925fcaee23ba191e4ff07a1f955328c599af58d0502e9c
Message ID: <adcaa0e10802100413c3@[205.199.118.202]>
Raw Date: Fri, 24 May 1996 17:32:23 +0800

Raw message

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Date: Fri, 24 May 1996 17:32:23 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Cyber-Anarchy

At 5:41 AM 5/24/96, jim bell wrote:
>At 09:05 PM 5/23/96 -0700, Timothy C. May wrote:
>>At 3:06 AM 5/24/96, jim bell wrote:

>>>At least we now know that the National Journal hasn't heard of
>>>Cyber-Anarchy--- or they didn't understand one word of it.
>>

>>What is this "cyber-anarchy" (or "Cyber-Anarchy") you keep talking about?
>
>(Yeah, yeah.  Okay, I forgot the trademark.  But I still can't find the
>"circle-C" on my keyboard!)

My point is actually not so much one of claiming credit for something I've
been involved with since 1988, as being somewhat critical of the
all-too-common tendency I see of _renaming_ something without adding any
new content.

Jim Bell calls his set of ideas "cyber-anarchy," and certain journalists
have picked up on this (as with the Australian article).

But with the exception of the one variant of anonymous markets, namely,
"assassination politics," most or all of the other ideas of his
"cyber-anarchy" seem to be encompassed by the already-existing term.

--Tim May

Boycott "Big Brother Inside" software!