1996-05-23 - CLI_pr3

Header Data

From: jya@pipeline.com (John Young)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 19be58ba3e46aba8e00b3f4c6012859813378533e4fa35eee18fd39cbebd08b4
Message ID: <199605231418.OAA02731@pipe2.t1.usa.pipeline.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 24 May 1996 03:40:26 +0800

Raw message

From: jya@pipeline.com (John Young)
Date: Fri, 24 May 1996 03:40:26 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: CLI_pr3

   5-23-96. WaJo:

   "Chasing Criminals at Cyberspeed."

      Three recent developments in the money laundering trade
      have governments especially worried: the proliferation
      of offshore financial centers, the collapse of the
      Soviet Union and the adaptation of emerging technologies
      to criminal ends. Officials think newly developed "smart
      cards" will be particularly appealing to criminals.
      Smart cards could be used to download cash from bank
      accounts, then used to make payments or deposits
      anywhere in the world. All without anyone knowing who
      holds the smart card, because encryption guarantees
      anonymity.

      Says Stanley Morris, director of FinCEN, "The only way
      we can adequately assist our federal law enforcement
      counterparts in following the trail of the multinational
      money launderer is through our linkages with
      multilateral arrangements such as ... [Clipper 3]."

   5-23-96. FiTi:

   "Japanese recruit 2,000 spies to monitor Asia crises."

      Their main source of official information will be
      material gathered by six electronic listening posts
      stationed across Japan.

   CLI_pr3 (for 2)

Thread