1996-05-18 - re: SEVERE undercapacity, we need more remailers

Header Data

From: attila <attila@primenet.com>
To: Black Unicorn <unicorn@schloss.li>
Message Hash: 26ac9ee574ee2552a8efc8045bf616ddf456dfa52594cd464049c129e074c4be
Message ID: <199605180409.VAA08193@primenet.com>
Raw Date: Sat, 18 May 1996 18:01:08 +0800

Raw message

From: attila <attila@primenet.com>
Date: Sat, 18 May 1996 18:01:08 +0800
To: Black Unicorn <unicorn@schloss.li>
Subject: re: SEVERE undercapacity, we need more remailers

Addressed to: Black Unicorn <unicorn@schloss.li>
              Cypherpunks <cypherpunks@toad.com>

** Reply to note from Black Unicorn <unicorn@schloss.li> 05/15/96
6:29pm -0400

= I would really like to see a remailer that is somehow blinded.
=
	on a message basis --it is not really possible if the logs are
    maintained or the fed are already monitoring the stream --which is
    probable if they are after something --and it will increase
    geometically if we get Bubba again.

	there are a number of very sophisticated ways to play the game,
but
    each requires a real "Web of Silence"  --what makes your
counterpart
    reliable?  where do we establish that "Web of Trust" which everyone
    bandies about.

        who are the two plants for our current chain? or is this just
    another case of sowing dissension by the feds?  I only know two or
    three at most of the players on the remailers at all --and that is
    passing knowledge, not acquaintance.

= I don't know enough about how mail paths are generatered, but is it
= impossible to conceal the origin of remailer postings?
=
        impossible to conceal each orientation, but I have been playing
    with several easy techniques which are sufficiently obfuscatory
    that the Feds will not have the horsepower to break them unless
    someone provides them with the methodology --that in itself
violates
    how we (cp) have always insisted on 'post it' and get on with the
    attempted destruction.  even if they break the methodology, they
    gain very little v. the technique.

= Postings made to remailernym@alpha.c2.org would be spit out
= somewhere but = without accountability?
=
        sure, possible if you wish to play the game with a "Web of
    silence."

= Impossible?  Would do wonders defeating traffic analysis.
=
        no, not impoosible. just who wants to be responsible for
    something the NSA assholes can not own --and compromise?  they get
    down right shitty when they kick your door down in the middle of
the
    night as take your carcass away --if nothing else works, off to
    Springfield you go --without charges --lest we forget the crippled
    president or Hustler magazine  --that is what they did to him
    _before_ they convicted him, _and_ after.

= I'd consider running a remailer, but after listening to the response
= the anonymous poster a while back, it sounds like there are few if
any
= simple options which do not require major time and effort to setup
and
= run.
=
        you can run it out of your client account on an IAP --there's
    nothing special about it in a simplified form.

        I could support a remailer point if I could manage to get the
    necessary "Web of Silence" counterparts --one them preferable
    foreign.

        BTW, it does not need to be complex to add another level of
    confusion. usually the best offensives are the simplest.

==
= Opp. Counsel: For all your expert testimony needs:
jimbell@pacifier.com
=
        is this subtle, crass, or just not?

--
Overseeing first-rate programmers is a managerial challenge
  roughly comparable to herding cats.

Thread