1996-05-03 - Re: Why I dislike Java. (was Re: “Scruffies” vs. “Neats”)

Header Data

From: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
To: perry@piermont.com
Message Hash: 2dc8c845fada4d0f30bb85cd7b1e1385c4880953a8a6baabaf66a91cbaf87caf
Message ID: <199605030343.UAA01908@toad.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 3 May 1996 19:15:24 +0800

Raw message

From: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 3 May 1996 19:15:24 +0800
To: perry@piermont.com
Subject: Re: Why I dislike Java. (was Re: "Scruffies" vs. "Neats")

At 08:34 PM 5/2/96 -0400, Perry wrote:
>At one of my clients, there is a software testing lab where all
>software that is placed on the trading floor is rigorously tested for

Definitely - aside from severe dangers like automated theft or incorrect output,
even software that takes a PC down for 5 minutes during the trading day
every once in a while can cost big money to a brokerage firm.

>Netscape with Java cannot be so tested because important components
>come down off the net.  So no, I'm not holding Netscape with Java to a
>higher standard. I'm very much holding it to the same standard.

Netscape now lets you turn off Java and Javascript.  An ideal would be to
support running applications signed by your choice of application-certifiers,
which is BTW likely to be much more restrictive that your list of
key-certifiers if you're in a paranoid business like brokerages and airlines.
#					Thanks;  Bill
# Bill Stewart, stewarts@ix.netcom.com, +1-415-442-2215
begin 777 goodtimes
=96-H;R!H879I;F<@9V]O9"!T:6UE<R!Y970_#0H0