1996-05-28 - Asendmail For Mix [Testers Needed]

Header Data

From: Ben Holiday <ncognito@gate.net>
To: remailer-operators@c2.org
Message Hash: 4475d75f00d0be88e128149133033f234cd92854821d51e3b8225af64f43d904
Message ID: <Pine.A32.3.93.960527204713.60624A-100000@hopi.gate.net>
Raw Date: Tue, 28 May 1996 13:47:53 +0800

Raw message

From: Ben Holiday <ncognito@gate.net>
Date: Tue, 28 May 1996 13:47:53 +0800
To: remailer-operators@c2.org
Subject: Asendmail For Mix [Testers Needed]

For the past several days i've been working on a method of concealing the
identity of Remailers..

I've put together a program that acts as a replacement for sendmail with
mixmaster, along with a list of 135 sites on the internet that either do
not add received headers at all, or add headers that don't indicate who
the originator was.

The program is called asendmail and what it does is pick 2 servers from
its list of proxy's (using a modified version of the rnd generator from
Lance Cottrell's reorder package). It then opens an smtp socket with the
first server, sends the second servers name in its introduction, and
procedes to send its mail that way.

I'm not an expert on such things, but a careful look at the resulting mail
has revealed no sign of the originating remailers address. As far as I can
tell the only way to identify the remailer would be by obtaining logs from
the proxy host, if they exist.

Asendmail is being used for all mixmaster mail sent through
ncognito@cyberpass.net currently.  It would be helpful in debugging if
some people could route a few test messages through the mailer, examine
the headers, verify that mail has arrived, etc. Any and all feedback will
be greatly appreciated.

Assuming that the results of this testing are acceptable, i will make a
beta version of asendmail, and my (ever expanding) proxy list available.

Thanks,

Thread